Reference to CLO’s & Grade Weighting
- Justify marketing decisions using factors that are a part of marketing strategy and analytical frameworks.
- Execute a strategic marketing process to create a basic marketing plan.
Assignment #1 is worth 20% of the overall course grade.
Congratulations! As the Senior Business Analyst at M1 Consulting Inc., you have been asked to provide the senior management team with an analysis of a specific smallbusiness the firm may be looking to invest in, or purchase.
The format of your analysis can be one of three forms. It is your choice:
- Traditional report written in full paragraphs and sentences (no more than 5 pages)
- Video with references included (no longer than 10 minutes)
- Audio with accompanying notes and references (no longer than 10 minutes)
Select a company from one of the following lists:
The PROFIT magazine Hot 50 list
Companies featured on the CBC Dragons’ Den
Canada’s Top Small and Medium Employers of 2019
You are expected to research this company, using at least 3 different resources. You will include a list of these references at the conclusion of the document. These can include:
- The company’s website
- Other websites
- Books, journals, magazines, newspapers
- Interview with employees or other stakeholders
- Other reputable sources as found
Your manager has asked that this report contain the following sections, at minimum:
- A Title Page to include the name of the company, and your name, your instructor’s name, and the date (not included in page count)
- Description of the company and business, approximately 1 page
- What type of business are they – profit/non, public/private, industry, ownership type, etc.?
Written or described in complete paragraph format, a description of your company by answering the questions below:
- How long have they been in business?
- What is the company’s core business? Product, service, or both?
- What other secondary businesses are they involved in?
- Who are the main customers? What key utility (usefulness) do the company’s products provide to its customers?
- Where do they do business and/or where are their customers?
- Industry Analysis, approximately 1 page
- Define the industry or industry segment (a more detailed definition of the industry – i.e. ‘fast food burger’ vs. ‘food’) they are in.
- Who are their main competitors in this industry/segment?
- What is the economic outlook for the industry – and why? Statistics to support?
- Which of the 5 categories of environmental forces will influence future expansion or contractions of the industry? Include the ones most influential.
- Marketing Mix, approximately ½ to 1 page
- Describe the 4 P’s of the company’s marketing mix in summary.
- Ethics & Corporate Social Responsibility, approximately ½ page
- What is one way that this company demonstrates positive ethical behaviour or corporate social responsibility? What effect do these examples have?
- Conduct a SWOT Analysis (preferably in table format)
- Assess the company’s strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats in their environment. Ensure your internal and external points are accurately categorized. If the company has control over it, it is internal….
- Should be summarized or described in point form in a four-box table, and briefly described in a four to five sentence paragraph.
- Write two to three paragraphs that summarize your analysis for your manager, approximately 1 page
- Remember your audience here. Be clear, concise, and accurate.
- Indicate for your manager if you think this is a good business venture. Why? Or Why not? Use your evidence to back up your statements.
*Please Note: Please cite any content that is not your own creation. It is expected that you will use your own words, but even so, the ideas might have come from another source, so use citations. Use a minimal number of direct quotes – only where necessary. If material is not cited and is not original, it will be considered plagiarism. Please consult your professor if you have any questions or concerns about this. **There is no required citation format required in this course – use your own judgement and be consistent.**
- Use 12-point font, preferably Calibri or Arial. Emphasize the headings that label each new section using Styles in the Home tab (when using Word). Include page numbers in your report.
- Please see attached marking rubric.
- Submit through Blackboard (under Assessments tab in the course menu).
Present or Acceptable
|Quality of Content|
|Depth and Breadth of Research||Clear evidence that multiple and appropriate sources of research information were used in this project.||Adequate evidence that sources of research were used in the creation of this project.||Little evidence that sources of research were used in the creation of this project.||No evidence that sources of research were used in the creation of this project.||Total Possible
Application of Content
|Application of course topics and research used throughout the project. All information is clear, appropriate and correct.||Application of course topics and research evident throughout most of the project. Most information is clear, appropriate and correct.||Some application of course topics and research are evident. Some information is confusing or incorrect.||Application of course topics and research are not evident. Information is confusing or incorrect.||Total Possible
|Grand Total||Comments:||Total Possible