Click the linked activity title to access Assignment 3: Cultural Activity Report. Visit a museum or art gallery online before the end of Week 9. Using the online museum or gallery as a model, then “create your own museum.” The museum or gallery should contain art or artifacts from the time period you are studying in this course: From Ancient Times to the 1600s.
Please make sure to visit only online museums. Even if museums are open in your area, please avoid unnecessary risk – there are many wonderful virtual resources! Feel free to use your textbook as a guide as well.
For this paper, you will select and curate a minimum of 5–10 works of art by 5–10 different artists to include in your own art museum. Use your textbook and online sources to help you find these works of art. A good resource for this assignment is the Google Arts and Culture website from the Google Cultural Institute. Here you can immerse yourself in cultural experiences across art, history and wonders of the world—from more than a thousand museums across 70 countries. Please select only artifacts from Ancient Times to 1600s. Using artifacts dated beyond 1600s will result in a loss of 25 points per artifact.
Write a 2–3 page report, 500–750 words that describes your experience.
- Select a minimum of 5–10 works of art by 5–10 different artists, from different time periods discussed in the text (Ancient Times to 1600s).
- Do not use power point slides, Clearly identify the location of the museum and your initial reaction when exploring the artwork in the online museum or gallery.
- Provide a description and summary of at least 5–10 works of art by 5–10 different artists.
- Include an image or screenshot of each piece.
- Explain your initial reaction to the artwork you selected and explain why you chose each piece.
- Describe the role of museum founder and curator.
- Use the class text as a reference (additional sources are fine, but not necessary unless required by your content). Your report should include connections you make between things observed in your activity and things learned in the course and text.
Note The roles of museum founder and curator are held by you.
Your assignment must follow these requirements:
- This course requires use of Strayer Writing Standards (SWS) [PDF] . Please take a moment to review the SWS documentation for details. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Examine historical works of art to identify themes that are relevant to both past and present.