“Should the Drinking Age Be Lowered From 21 to a Younger Age?”
- Explain why the issue is important – to you and to your audience.
- Assume your audience disagrees with you and tries to establish some common ground (pathos) with them, for example, “We all agree that safety is important” or “Individual freedom is one of our most cherished values.”
- Be clear about what you propose
- Use evidence to support your argument (logos).
- Be sure to mention one or two opposing arguments and refute them (ethos), that is, show how they are false, irrelevant, unimportant, or unfair.
- Through your presentation, you will demonstrate your understanding of the persuasive strategies we’ve been studying logos, ethos, and pathos.
- Present yourself as fair and reasonable, and avoid very emotional, polarized language that might make readers feel attacked.