A book report is basically an essay which describes the contents and details of a particular book. It is different from book review in such a way that it does not ask personal opinions. It only summarizes the main aspects of book like main theme, characters and author details.
Following are some steps which are used to write a qualitative and successful book report:
- The first step is to select the book on which you are going to write a report. Make sure it is interesting, attract larger group of community and does not include racism or other judgmental content.
- After selecting the book, thoroughly read it. Understand the main theme and read its whole content. Don’t use skip and skim method otherwise you won’t be able to get its whole flavor. Find the answers of the questions like, what is the main topic? What are the main characters? Is it informative? What type of community and people it is covering? Etc.
- Now create an outline which includes main factors, key points, and other logical sentences which are the crux of book. The outline has flexible nature; the data used in this can be altered and amended later as required.
- Now using the outline, start writing the book report. Include introduction, body paragraphs and other useful data like information of main characters and the main theme or moral of the book. After writing, proofread it carefully. Note down the grammatical, spelling or sentence structure mistakes. After highlighting the mistakes, resolve them and again edit the whole report.
- Try to add relevant and informative data in the book report.
- After completing the report, format it with standard fonts and styles. Use title page, and proper writing style.
There are three types of book reports:
- Theme analysis
- Character analysis
- Plot summary