A software requirement specification document (SRS) is basically defined as a document which includes what is a software about , how it is going to be developed and what are its functionalities. This document ensures that it completes all user needs and should be stated clearly.
The SRS helps in getting the clear picture of software which is going to be developed .Also it helps in following:
- The development work is minimized , as the requirements and modules are clear with no ambiguity.
- It helps in time management.
- The main modules are break down into smaller modules and the details are understandable at core levels.
- The SRS is used as main document for validation and verification after the development of software.
- It regularly involves customers so their requirements are thoroughly gathered.
An SRS has following main modules:
- Target audience
- Scope of the project
- Functional requirements.
- Non-functional requirements.
- Use cases and other UML diagrams like ERD, class diagrams and flow charts.
- Data dictionary.
Guidelines to write:
- In the introduction , mention the main idea of the software for which you are writing the document.
- Now include the purpose and reason behind using that software . Explain the reasons and advantages and use specific words to ensure that customer needs your software.
- Include all of the stakeholders which are going to be involved in software development and documentation process. They include users , developers , testers and businessmen who have stake in your software.
- Now add the scope of software . It consists of all limitations and border lines which your software application can do. Also mention those functionalities which your software is not capable of working.
- Now add the functional requirements of software. They include all basic functionalities of software.
- Non-functional requirements are those which are not functional in nature but are important for the software application , for example , security , maintenance and usability.
- Add the class diagrams and database diagrams to have clear picture of software architecture.
- Use data dictionary which includes all technical words used in the document with their meanings.
- Add conclusion paragraph with summary of all the content you have used in the main body of document.
A software requirement specification document is a very important document while developing a software. Therefor using above guidelines you can easily develop it with minimum difficulty and efforts.